If there’s anything we have learned over the past year and a half, it’s that your home is your sanctuary. We’re all spending a lot more time at home so why not ensure that your space is the best it can be with carefully selected décor and design choices to really create a space you love to spend time in.
Not sure where to start? Take lighting for example. Designing your home is more than just the sum of its parts, it’s about setting an ambience and a tone. Lighting is a key element when it comes to curating your home and creating that atmosphere.
Why is lighting important in a home?
- Lighting sets a mood: Make sure you select the right lighting by looking at form and function. When setting the mood, you should consider the shapes of the light, the shadows, the extend of light and of course the colour of the lamp design. It all helps to create a specific atmosphere. Add more atmosphere by adding candles to your room lighting.
- Lighting gives dimension to your room: In a room, you need to have elements that create space and dimension. When you include lamps and hanging pendants, these elements lend interesting dimensions to your room.
- Lighting provides interesting focus areas: A room should have various focal points that draw the eye and create areas of interest. When you have a home that focuses on different shades of neutral, these focus points become more important. So then, you’ll be looking for texture, height, and shades of the same colour.
Choosing the right lighting fixtures
But how do you go about choosing the best lighting for your space? Cara-Ann Potgieter, founder of Palmy Living offers these tips for selecting the right lighting for your home:
- Look at heights: Lighting at various heights creates interesting focal points. But when you have an open plan design, connecting two-to-three rooms, I would suggest keeping the lighting from the roof the same height. You can create dimensions by adding lamps and even candles for interest.
- Select the right colours: I suggest creating a core colour palette for your home. This will help you to develop rooms that complement each other, and then select lights that fall within your chosen colour palette.
Palmy Living Sculptural Baobab Lamp.
- Keep it interesting, yet consistent: While shapes, colours and contours can add interesting features to your lighting, it’s important to keep some consistency in either style, trend and, or colour.
- Choose the right bulbs: Make sure your lighting is soft and the right colour for your room. Do you like a white light, or do you want to create a mood with warmer yellow lights? You can also get interesting bulbs that become a feature element to your light, large bulbs with interesting wiring also brings an element of design into your home.
- Shades and forms: Keep in mind how the shape of the shade or light will look in your room and where it will be placed. Shapes can offer interesting features to your home. Find lighting with different shapes and sizes to create a beautifully designed space.
Find the best prices on lighting for your home online with PriceCheck now: