Winter is here and it’s time say goodbye to tall icy cocktails and hello to warm and toasty drinks. But just because the weather is cooling down doesn’t mean you have to give up on your favourite glass of wine – yes indeed, when mother nature gives you ice and cold, make Glühwein instead! This special recipe from Place in the Sun wines is super easy to follow and make use of their delicious Place in the Sun Merlot.
½ orange, sliced
½ lemon, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 Star anise spice
¼ cup sugar
200 ml water
750 ml Place in the Sun Merlot
2 Tablespoons brandy to taste (optional)
· In a large pot, combine the orange and lemon slices, cinnamon stick, cloves, anise spice, sugar and water.
· Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring to dissolve sugar.
· Once the sugar and spices have infused into the water, turn the heat down to a low temperature and pour in the Place in the Sun Merlot as well as the brandy (if using) while stirring the mixture.
· Heat until steaming and then remove from heat. Do not boil the Glühwein as this will result in the alcohol evaporating.
· Serve hot in mugs or glasses that have been preheated in warm water (cold glasses will break) with lemon slices or cinnamon sticks for decoration.
· If there is leftover Glühwein after 1 hour of making it, remove the orange and lemon slices so they do not impart a bitter taste. Store any leftover Glühwein in a glass container at room temperature and consume within two days.
Stock up for winter and shop for a wide variety of wines online via PriceCheck.
Want more wine-related reads? Click here for our picks of the 5 Best Winter Warmer Wines.