It’s not exactly an enjoyable task, but making sure that your kitchen appliances and accessories are clean is vital – your health could be at stake if you don’t. Here are 5 cleaning hacks to help you save time, money and safeguard your wellbeing.
The tool that you use to clean many kitchen accessories needs to be sanitised too – ironic, but true.
Cleaning hack – DID YOU KNOW: you can use your microwave?
- Drop your sponge in a bowl of water and put it in the microwave.
- Let the water heat until it’s boiling – it will kill any germs creeping around in there.
The on-the go lifestyle that many of us live, means that sitting down to a hearty breakfast is simply not possible, which makes your blender an essential appliance…but please don’t just drop it in the sink.
- Fill the blender with warm water
- Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid
- Switch on the blender for 10 seconds
- Rinse and dry the inside with a cloth
The coffee machine
There’s nothing better than a hot cup of coffee to give you the caffeine kick that you need to start your day. However, if you don’t clean your coffee machine, you’re going to find that the next cup you have will not be as satisfying.
- Pour equivalent parts of water and vinegar into the water tank
- Switch on the machine (the same way as if you were brewing the coffee)
- Stop halfway and let the solution sit in the water tank
- After 30 minutes, finish the brewing cycle
- Rinse out the tank
- Run the machine through one more cycle with plain water
Be honest – when was the last time you actually looked in your microwave to see if it was dirty? It’s probably been a while. Take a look now, and you’ll probably see that a bit of grit and grime has accumulated.
Cleaning hack: a lemon and water!
- Squeeze the juice and drop the skin into a jug of water
- Put it in the microwave and heat for 3 minutes
- Let it stand for 5 minutes before you take it out
- Wipe the inside of the microwave
You cut up ingredients on them every day, so it’s only logical that your cutting boards should be cleaned, but not everyone does it. Please clean them; they will become infested with germs, if you don’t.
- Wipe the board down with vinegar
- Sprinkle coarse salt onto it and rub it in using a lemon
- Wipe it dry to remove all stains
- Wipe it with mineral oil – this will keep the wood healthy
And there you have it! Your 5 quick, simple and budget-friendly hacks to ensure your kitchen is always clean.