A runny nose, itchy eyes, congestion, and fatigue are just some of the gruesome and irritating symptoms of spring allergies. To soothe the agony for sufferers, we have compiled a list of natural remedies to assist with spring allergies.
1. Lemon Grass
The beautifully smelling plant has many uses, one of which is serving as an analgesic remedy for severe sinus congestion and unclogging properties to clear breathing passages.
- Add three to five drops of lemon grass oil into a bowl of steaming water and cover your head with a hot towel.
- Otherwise, you can inhale lemon grass oil directly from the bottle.
- Make a lemon grass tea infusion by boiling a cup of water, adding a few stalks of fresh lemon grass and straining it. Add honey for taste and drink three times daily.
Amla is a rich antioxidant and is a great source of vitamin c. Due to its antihistamine properties, it also helps with recovery from sinus and allergies.
- One spoon of Amla powder every morning.
- Drink half a cup of Amla juice every morning.
Besides being a great ingredient for salads and curries, onions contain a natural antihistamine called quercetin which helps block histamines and reduces allergies
- Eat small onions raw and drink a glass of hot water immediately after.
- Chop one big onion and spray lemon juice.
- Make an onion soup – Chop a leek, a red onion, a yellow onion and four shallots. Sauté in olive oil until soft. Cover with enough broth for four bowls of soup; simmer 15 minutes.
4. Fish Oil
Strange but true, fish oil relieves sinus and allergies with its antioxidant properties. About 3g of fish oil supplements will do the trick. This goes for the cod liver as well.
- Eat more fish
- Take a fish oil supplement
- Take a teaspoon of fish oil twice daily
Like onions, garlic also contains the compound quercetin which blocks histamine aiding in sinus relief.
- Mince and fry five cloves of garlic in some ghee. Eat hot without drinking any liquid after.
- Finely chop up garlic and boil slowly in hot water – sip on it.
6. Rinse Nasal Passages Thoroughly
Clearing the nasal passages is imperative for relieving sinus. Ensure you do so regularly by using salt and water to rinse nasal cavities.
7. Spring Clean Your Home
Allergies and sinus worsen not only because of outside environments but because our homes are filled with dust. Give your home a spring clean to reduce spring allergies.
NB – Reduce Your Pollen Intake
Not the most breakthrough idea but reducing your pollen intake will help relieve sinus. There are a few ways to do this:
- Don’t go out during midday
- Wash after coming from outdoors
- Change clothes when coming from outside.